Saturday, March 20, 2010

The ballet

I took Claire and David to see a ballet last night. Claire and I had seen the performance before but she really wanted to go again and really wanted David to go with her.

On a sidenote, the two of them have been getting along so well lately. "Claire's my best friend" David told me the other day. He gets so excited when she comes home from school and is often so disappointed when she goes up to her room to have some alone time. The two of them play Uno, Slamwich, Sorry, and Go Fish. They play up in the attic for hours or go outside and construct elaborate worlds of snow or mud. Last weekend, when we made the bedroom switch and moved Claire into her own room, she brought her sleeping bag into the boys' room at bedtime and said "I want to sleep by David. I missed him."

The ballet performance was based on the book The Squire and the Scroll. It's a bit too didactic in its allegorical nature for my taste but it's an engaging tale nonetheless.

The kids love the story. We read it a few times prior to going and then got dressed up and went to see the ballet version of it. It was magical for the kids. We saw some of the dancers after the performance and then came home and had ice cream and hot chocolate.

Today we acted out the story. David was the knight. Claire was the squire. And me? I was the red dragon. Good times.

1 comment:

Wicker Family said...

How do you feel about being cast as the antagonist? I'm always the "white witch" when the kids play Narnia. (Anika is Susan and Andrew is Peter). I love to hear how Claire and David are playing together. (We have those moments but we have more than our share of angry words, tattling, and tears!)