Tuesday, May 25, 2010

claire the librarian

claire and her friend angela have turned claire's bedroom into a library.

there's mountains of books piled up in her room, all in carefully planned out orders and quantities. there's a check out area. there's a reading area.

they act out the librarians and get david and jacob in trouble if they talk too loud (even though i've worked so hard to get them past the stereotype of librarians telling people to be quiet!).

after telling her that i think librarians are some of the most powerful people in the world because they get to chose which stories a community/city gets to read, claire decided that she wouldn't have any bob the builder stories or barbie stories but that she'd have lots of bearstein bears, caillou and pippi longstocking.

as i try to make sense of my theoretical framework for my dissertation, that of literacy sponsorship - the people, institutions, commercial/cultural forces that influence individual's literacy development and acquisition, i can't help but wish that i could just study my own kids.

2 comments:

Wicker Family said...

I remember playing librarian as a child. (My sister and I taped "check out" cards in the front of all of our books -- My mom wasn't too happy. . .) I'm so excited to read your dissertation -- and of course, I think it should included Claire!

nettie said...

oh, deb..do you already have a topic for your next dissertation???????????????
mom