Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A to Z mysteries and Nancy Drew Clue Crew

We've been struck by detective fever these last few months. The kids love reading mysteries and there seems to be no end in sight to the stacks of A to Z mysteries and Nancy Drew (elementary school version) that they get from the library.

Though the "series" aspect of these books drive me crazy, I have to remind myself that series reading is a normal part of kids' reading development and that I was a huge series reader when I was younger. Nonetheless, I'm trying to get the kids to predict the oh so predictable story structure in each book.

Sometimes it cracks me up when I hear their predictions (of "who done it?"). David in particular makes me laugh (inside!). With a serious face, he'll guess that a character in a different book or even different series was the one who stole the stamp or who kidnapped the prince. Jacob tends to use the same 3 words when talking about the books: "robbers", "police", "bad guys". And Claire? When I read the books aloud to the three of them, she usually sits to my left and just stares at my face when I read.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww, how sweet! Quiet time for Clair to just adore you and soak you up. What a wonderful girl she is. And, I love the boys. They are forever inquisitive.