Monday, October 27, 2008

One step forward, two steps back

After spending hours plotting and planning how to get David to give up his pacifier, one night, as we were putting the kids to bed, we simply couldn't find the overused, fungus infected thing. We searched everywhere. It wasn't to be found.

We had a quick conference in our bedroom and decided to tell David the truth - that we couldn't find it and that he'd have to sleep without it. We expected screaming, crying, the works.

He went to sleep no problem.

Though he did wake up twice in the night and ask for it, he fell back to sleep both times after I tucked him back in.

He hasn't asked us for it since.

I will not miss those frantic 3 am searches under his bed, those army crawls in the car or minivan, trying to locate the blasted thing.

I will, however, miss my afternoon quiet times with Claire. Ever since giving up the soother, David has stopped taking afternoon naps. Occasionally now he'll fall asleep but it seems that my days of the boys napping in the afternoon while Claire and I sip tea and talk books is over.

Why did I want him to get rid of his pacifier again?!

No comments: