Sunday, December 7, 2008

Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Today Claire, David and I went to our local civic theater and watched a performance of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

This was a brand new experience for both of them. I had fun teaching them about the stage, about what to do when the lights go out, about how to applaud at the end and so on.

It was my first time seeing this play. I have to admit that I had tears in my eyes at the end. I'm not quite sure what it was but I think it was the reminder that all too often, it's the people we'd least expect who are the ones who really get the Christmas/Christian message.

David kept quiet the whole play (probably due to the fact that he was chewing on a piece of gum). I wasn't sure how much of the play he understood.

Right before the play ended though, one of the characters took baby Jesus (a doll) off the stage. Immediately, David blurted out in the most angry sounding tone that his rather high pitched little boy's voice could muster (small theater + we had front row seats = everyone heard), "Where is baby Jesus going?"

I think he got it.

No comments: