Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Mom - is this true?"

"Is this a true story Mom? Did it really happen?"

Lately Claire has been asking these kinds of questions. It seems important to her to find out which stories we read are ones that really happened or are ones that are "made up". It makes me laugh when I see her smugly decide it on her own, especially when it's a story that's any bit scary. "I know that didn't really happen" she says as I turn the page of Kimmel's Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins and we gaze upon a spooky and mean looking goblin. "Goblins aren't real".

These kinds of conversations have me thinking about truth and Truth. The Narnia Chronicles, for example, didn't really happen but I think they're True. Same with The Lord of the Rings. I resist notions of truth being boiled down to historical fact because it posits history as neutral.

It strikes me that as an almost 5 year old, Claire's quest for "truth" is something that happened so naturally, so readily.

No comments: