Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Deconstructor and the scary Three Little Pigs

I took Claire and David to a symphony performance this past weekend. Together with the Ballet Company, the GR Symphony performed a version of Little Red Riding Hood.

It was fun. The orchestra members were all wearing different colored shirts depending on their musical "family" and before things began, some orchestra members came into the audience and let kids touch their instruments. The conductor, who Claire referred to as the "deconstructor", was funny and did a great job of having the kids interact with him. (Hmmm. Deconstructor. Have my grad school terms rubbed off on my darling 5 year old?!)

All was going well until the Three Little Pigs ran on stage (this version of Little Red Riding Hood was quite funny).

It was at this point that David got freaked out. He buried his face in my chest for the rest of the performance, emerging only to accept the peppermint, sucker and piece of gum that I offered to him in the hopes of getting him out of his frightened frame of mind. The bribing didn't work. He slobbered on the candy while remaining buried in my shirt.

No comments: