Saturday, May 31, 2008

Are kids really that different ?

I've been thinking a lot about how so often we, as adults, make comments or observations about kids and write it off as just a development stage or something of the sort.

Here's some examples:

Middle school girls are so cliquey.
Kids love attention.
Kids love to show off.

Claire and her friend Noel were playing in the backyard and were talking. This is what I heard:
Noel: I have to go. OK. Bye.
Claire: I have to go too. I have to go to the parade.
Noel: I have to go to the parade too.
Claire: I have to go to the parade and the wedding.
Noel: I have to go to the parade and I'm in a wedding.
Claire: I'm in a parade and in a wedding.
Noel: I'm the flowergirl.
Claire: I'm in the parade and I'm going to play the tuba.
It's hard to capture the conversation in print because with each new idea, the girls were raising their voices a little more and standing closer and closer to each other.

As I heard this, I smiled and thought that kids sure do love to play "one up" on each other.

And then I remembered that in different but not so different ways adults (me) do this too.

No comments: