Sunday, June 8, 2008

I had forgotten

I had forgotten how time and energy intensive potty training is.

Between constantly asking David if he has to go to the bathroom and then cleaning up after him when he forgets and then applauding him when he remembers, it's a lot of work.

I had forgotten some of the things that happened when I was potty training Claire. It's funny how they're now resurfacing, in very acute ways.

The time when she peed as she was sitting on my lap during a meal. The time she peed when we were out shopping and because I had neglect to bring any extra clothes along, we left the store (and the puddle) wet. The time we went hiking with Claire and she tried to poop in the woods a dozen times. The many hours we spent reading potty training books to her, trying to get her used to the idea of using the toilet.

These experiences have taught me a few things. With David, we skipped the literature and went straight to the bribing (fruit loops and marshmellows). This past week we haven't ventured out of the house unless it was absolutely necessary. We move the potty to whichever room he's in. We're hesitant to declare success because we know it takes time.

Something I did remember about Claire and potty training was the absolutely euphoric feeling I had when she finally learned. I can't wait to feel it again.

No comments: