Saturday, April 12, 2008

Breakfast conversation

One thing I'm learning in my motherhood experience is that you just can't predict when kids will want to talk about things. Perhaps I should have know this from my own experience but it continues to surprise, and delight me.

At breakfast the other day, as I was shoveling granola in my mouth, reading the paper, making sure David only ate one vitamin,
Claire said (in between her bites of cereal),
"We ate tacos yesterday with Dad"
A few minutes later she told me that she watched "Nemo" at Jen's dorm (Jen's our babysitter).
Then, she told me that Lydia and Amelia are her friends at preschool.

I used to think that asking kids the "right" kind of questions would provide the glimpses into their thoughts and experiences. I'm beginning to realize that it's not so much the questions but more the time spent with them.

No comments: