Friday, April 4, 2008

Little House and the Fairy

I've been reading Little House on the Prairie books to Claire in the afternoon when the boys are napping.

We have a nice little routine going. We make our chai tea, we snuggle in on the living room couch with blankets and then start reading.

Claire's been calling me "Ma" and Jon "Pa". She is Laura, David is Mary and Jacob is baby Carrie.

She also seems to think that the book is called Little House and the Fairy.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much she's understanding. To be really honest, I'm not sure how much I understand either (making a smoke house in the back to smoke the venison? I'm still confused as to how Pa made it).

But, just when I start to think that what I've been reading is way over her head, she surprises me with something. Today it was that, out of the blue, she said to me, "Mom, Wilbur is some pig, and terrific. That's what Charlotte wrote about him."

2 comments:

Danielle and Paul said...

i can't wait to read Ruby stories. i can't wait for her to start talking... thanks for being such a beautiful role model of mothering for me.

Wicker Family said...

Deb,
I had started the book with Anika in Sunnyside. . . I think I need to revive the practice!!! Thanks for your thoughts - I've haven't commented on all of them but I sure could - each would start "I can totally relate. . ."