Monday, April 7, 2008

So incredibly blessed

There are moments when I wish that I didn't live so far away from Michigan State, that I didn't have to do the 1.5 hour drive each way once or twice a week, that I could go to more of the events and talks and get-togethers on campus. Living in Holland definitely makes my experience as a grad student at MSU more difficult.

But, Jon and I decided to stay in Holland when I started the PhD program because of the community we experienced here, because of the relationships with friends that were important to us.

Tonight I got to tangibly experience this community, this reason we decided to stay here. Kathy and Kristen threw me a surprise birthday party. And, for the first time in my life, I was completely surprised. There at the restaurant was my all star line up of my favorite female friends (give or take a few who were on spring break), a whole group of them representing a variety of ages, interests, and connections to me, there to enjoy drinks and dessert on this the first day of my new year of life.

I'll be thinking about all of them and about the community they are to me, to Jon, to our family, when I make the long drive to campus tomorrow.

No comments: